Code Civ. Proc. §116.610. Judgments

California Code of Civil Procedure  >   Code Civ. Proc. §116.610. Judgments
 (a) The small claims court shall give judgment for damages, or equitable relief, or both damages and equitable relief, within the jurisdictional limits stated in Sections 116.220, 116.221, and 116.231, and may make any orders as to time of payment or otherwise as the court deems just and equitable for the resolution of the dispute.
 (b) The court may, at its discretion or on request of any party, continue the matter to a later date in order to permit and encourage the parties to attempt resolution by informal or alternative means.
 (c) The judgment shall include a determination whether the judgment resulted from a motor vehicle accident on a California highway caused by the defendant’s operation of a motor vehicle, or by the operation by some other individual, of a motor vehicle registered in the defendant’s name.
 (d) If the defendant has filed a claim against the plaintiff, or if the judgment is against two or more defendants, the judgment, and the statement of decision if one is rendered, shall specify the basis for and the character and amount of the liability of each of the parties, including, in the case of multiple judgment debtors, whether the liability of each is joint or several.
 (e) If specific property is referred to in the judgment, whether it be personal or real, tangible or intangible, the property shall be identified with sufficient detail to permit efficient implementation or enforcement of the judgment.
 (f) In an action against several defendants, the court may, in its discretion, render judgment against one or more of them, leaving the action to proceed against the others, whenever a several judgment is proper.
 (g) (1) The prevailing party is entitled to the costs of the action, including the costs of serving the order for the appearance of the defendant.
  (2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subdivision and subdivision (b) of Section 1032, the amount of the small claims court fee paid by a party pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 116.230 that exceeds the amount that would have been paid if the party had paid the fee pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 116.230 shall not be recoverable as costs.
 (h) When the court renders judgment, the clerk shall promptly deliver or mail notice of entry of the judgment to the parties, and shall execute a certificate of personal delivery or mailing and place it in the file.
 (i) The notice of entry of judgment shall be on a form approved or adopted by the Judicial Council. [2006]

Leave a Reply